Creating Your Website in 2018: Dos and Don’ts
By now, everyone knows how much having a website can benefit business, and in 2018 it’s easier than ever to create an impressive site. But it’s also important to keep up with the latest trends to craft a website that is easy to navigate and laid out, to show off your product or service. Here are some tips to keep in mind when building your site:
Big Hosting Companies (like GoDaddy) Have an Advantage:
With the repeal of net neutrality, you bet there’s going to be fast and slow lanes of the internet. Bigger hosting companies like GoDaddy will likely pay so that their customers have access to the ‘fast lanes’, which means you should sign up with them.
GoDaddy Coupons Mean You Don’t Have to Break the Bank
Right now there are lots of really good godaddy coupons here as well as godaddy promo codes for 2018 as well as godaddy renewal coupon codes for existing sites. You can use them and still keep your website under-budget.
• Mobile is key. A study from this year by ComScore found that in the US, 60 percent of users spent their digital media time on tablets and smartphones. It’s necessary to make your website mobile-friendly, which a lot of platforms already integrate into their designs. If you’re working with a developer, ask about mobile optimization. That means optimizing content for mobile screens; people don’t want to scroll through tons of text.
• Use visual and interactive elements to engage. People love quality visual content, like infographics, videos, and picture sliders. They’re eye-catching, easy to share, and memorable. In a study of more than one million articles, BuzzSumo, an online content insight tool, looked at the ratio of images to words in web content, and how often people shared the content. The study found that articles with a picture once every 75 to 100 words got two times more shares than articles with fewer images. Make sure that the visual content you use is relevant and of good quality, because a poorly done video or a grainy image can have the opposite impact.
• User experience should be seamless. Websites that are easy to use will feature prominent menus, clean designs, and pages that have clear goals. Keep track of your website’s analytics to see if it’s accomplishing what you want. See how long people are staying on your pages, how many pages they’re visiting, and what links they’re clicking. From there, you can know exactly how users flow through your site, and what you can do to improve your experience.
• Know SEO basics. Search engine optimization is the process of customizing the content on your web pages so that it is easy for search engines to find. The better a site is optimized, the higher it will appear in search engine results. Know what keywords your audience is looking for, and learn the basics of SEO to use your keywords most efficiently.
• Optimize for social media. If people are sharing your pages on Facebook or a similar platform, do you know what’s going to pop up in the preview of your site? Make sure it’s a nice-looking thumbnail and a good description. You can edit this info in the meta tags of your web pages.
A great website looks modern and functions smoothly. Don’t get left behind!